boys playing

Short Course Certificate FAQs

For Prospective Students

Q. I would like more information about the short courses available

You can find more information via the PERCAN website:

If you have any specific queries, please email

Q. What are the entry requirements for the short courses? 

  • Be a Western Australian resident
  • Be over 18 years of age, and have access to a computer and internet
  • Have a current Working with Children Check, National Police Clearance (valid within 12 months) or equivalent (e.g. WA Police ID)
  • Have one of the following:
    • an undergraduate or postgraduate qualification in education, youth work, welfare, social work, psychology, social science or equivalent; or
    • an Advanced Diploma or Diploma qualification in community services, youth work, nursing or welfare; or
    • recent experience (a minimum of 2 years full time or equivalent) working in a community sector organisation or relevant equivalent, in a role involving self-directed application of knowledge, exercise of judgement and decision-making responsibilities, working with children, young people and/or families

Further criteria us required for the Professional Certificate in Assessing Childhood Trauma. You must:

  • Have access to appropriate video conferencing equipment that supports Microsoft Teams
  • Currently work (or have recent prior experience) in a role with clients who have experienced child abuse or neglect and potential trauma.
  • Have graduated from the Professional Certificate of Understanding Childhood Trauma.

Q.  Are the short courses open to students outside of WA?  

These short courses are only open to WA-based residents. The course may be expanded to other states in the future.

Q. What are the fees for the short courses?  

There is currently no fee, as these courses are available through Lotterywest sponsored PERCAN scholarships based for WA-based residents. In the future applicants may be able to apply for a fee-paying position.

Q.  I’ve missed the application deadline, how can I find out when applications open again?  

Please email to be notified of future course openings.

Q. I’ve applied for a place in a PERCAN Short Course, when will I hear the outcome of my application?  

After applying for a place in the PERCAN Short Course, applicants should receive an application confirmation email within a few days. This email should outline when to expect to hear the outcome of your application. If you do not receive this email after a week of applying, please send an email to

For Current Students

Q. I’m enrolled in a Short Course, but cannot login

If you are having trouble accessing the online environment, please contact the IT Help Desk via phone, email or log a service call online.

Please find contact details at:

Q. I have logged in, but cannot access particular course activities or resources

This issue is more than likely browser related, we suggest trying another browser eg Firefox or Chrome. More information on browsers can be found here:

If changing browser doesn’t work try:


Cross site tracking: you will need to Google how to enable/disable this depending on which browser you are using. You will need to change it from what it currently is to the opposite – so if enabled, disable. But this depends on browser etc.

If this does not solve the problem please contact outlining your specific problem.

Q. I’ve been offered a place in a Short Course, but would like to withdraw

Please email requesting your withdrawal. Please include in this email your full name, course you are currently undertaking, and reason for withdrawal.

Q. I have a question about the course content

Contact your Course Coordinator (contact details in the Course Outline via myUniSA).

Q. When do I have to finish the Course by?

Deadlines can be found in the Course Outline. If you’d like to discuss an extension, please contact your Course Coordinator (contact details in the Course Outline via myUniSA).

Q. I’ve completed the course, when will I receive my certificate?

All students who successfully complete the course will receive their digital certificate via their UniSA student email within one month of the course concluding.

Q. How many hours of CPD are the courses worth?

CPD requirements are discipline specific. We are not registered with any particular discipline CPD requirements and therefore not included on the certificate of completion.

Q. How do I check my student details? eg. Check my current postal address.

If you would like to check your home/postal address or your contact phone number, please go to ‘my Personal Details’ in myUniSA .

Q. How do I update my student details?

Please send your request (including your student ID number) to and Campus Central will update your student profile.